The last thing you want if you’re traveling these holidays is to worry about someone burglarizing your home. Use this checklist to add some peace of mind while you’re out of town.
1. Ask a trusted friend – to pick up mail, newspaper and keep yard picked up to avoid an appearance of being empty.
2. Consider discontinuing your mail (USPS Hold Mail Service)
3. Don’t post about your trip on Facebook and other social media until you return – some burglars actually look for this type of announcement to schedule their activities.
4. Do notify police or neighborhood watch – especially if you’re going to be gone for more than just a few days. Let your monitoring service know when you’ll be gone and if someone will be checking on your home for you. There are many options that will allow you to monitor your home while you are away, many have apps that will send you motion notifications, live video, and two-way audio. Ring offers a variety of products from video doorbells, to spotlight cameras to help you protect your home.
5. Light timers make it look like someone is home – use several sets for different times to better simulate someone being at home. Many products have simple installation and allow you to control your lights from an app, making this a perfect solution to mimic someone being home while you are away.
6. Do unplug certain appliances – TV, computers, toaster ovens that use electricity even when they’re off and to protect them from power surges.
7. Don’t hide a key – burglars know exactly where to look for your key and it only takes them a moment to check under the mat, above the door, in the flower pot or in a fake rock.
8. Dog Sitter – If you need someone to watch your animals while you are away, call the office and we can provide you access to our Homekeeper app. The app has a list of all of our recommended suppliers, including animal sitters.
These easy-to-handle suggestions may protect your belongings while you’re gone while adding a level of serenity to your trip.